IV. Reminiscences of life as an undergraduate at Harvard College from 1793 to 1797, 1837
About this Item
- White, Daniel Appleton, 1776-1861.
- Collection Title
- Papers of Daniel Appleton White, 1793-1803, 1837 1793-1803, 1837
- .06 cubic feet (5 folders).
- Harvard University Archives
- The Papers of Daniel Appleton White are open for research.
This memoir, written by White in 1837, describes his undergraduate years at Harvard from 1793 to 1797. It contains lengthy passages about a wide variety of experiences White had as a student. He wrote about his classes and professors, student life, American politics, politics in the world at large, food, his classmates, and many other topics. The memoir includes passages from a diary that White seems to have kept as a student, as well as reflections clearly written later in life. White wrote this memoir in 15 separate notebooks, each embossed with "Platner & Porter, Congress" in the upper left-hand corner. Platner & Porter was the manufacturer of the notebooks.