Papers of Joseph Willard, 1768-1804, 1838
About this Collection
- Willard, Joseph , 1738-1804
- Seals.Sermons-Massachusetts-18th century.Personal correspondence.Family papers.Harvard students' notes.Harvard students' poems.College catalogs.
- Collection Title
- Papers of Joseph Willard, 1768-1804, 1838
- 5 cubic feet (11 document boxes, 1 flat box, 1 artifact box, 2 volumes).
- Harvard University Archives
This collection primarily documents Willard’s religious work, as it contains over two hundred of his sermons. It also contains two pieces of Willard’s student work as a Harvard undergraduate, correspondence regarding his clerical responsibilities, a few letters to family members, administrative correspondence and memoranda from his Harvard presidency, notes for an unpublished Greek grammar, and a few pieces of personal memorabilia.
Joseph Willard (1738-1804) was a Congregational minister, a scholar of ancient Greek, astronomy, and mathematics, and the twelfth president of Harvard College, serving from 1781 to 1804.