Articles of the St. John's River Society : manuscript, [ca. 1764]

To cite this material, use the information provided in the "Cite" tab in the top menu of the viewer with the digitized image. Please also add Colonial North America at Harvard Library to each citation.
Launch viewer
To cite this material, use the information provided in the "Cite" tab in the top menu of the viewer with the digitized image. Please also add Colonial North America at Harvard Library to each citation.

About this Item

Creator
St. John’s River Society
Language
English
Origin
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Description
1 v. (19 p.) ; 31 cm.
Date
1764
Repository
Houghton Library, Harvard University
Identifier
colonialnorthamerica.library.harvard.edu/990099162700203941

Content Notes

Articles setting forth the right of land proprietors in the townships of Sunbury, Burton, Gate and Conway, and dealing with payment of subscriptions, appointment of agents, council meetings, and land sales.

Biographical Notes

The land company which became known as the St. John’s River Society (known also in Nova Scotia as the Canada Company, or the Quebec Company) was formed early in 1764 by a group of military officers stationed in Montreal. It later comprised 68 members, military officers, colonial officials, and merchants, in Montreal, Quebec, New York, Massachusetts, and Ireland, who obtained patents to five townships on the lower part of the St. John River.