About this Collection
- art originalgovernment publicationJewelry.Miniatures (paintings)-United States-18th century.Portraits-United States-18th century.Paintings-United States-18th century.
- Collection Title
- [George Washington]
- No place, unknown, or undetermined, [no place
- 1 miniature painting on ivory : watercolor ; 4 x 3 cm., oval.
- Houghton Library, Harvard University
Subject: miniature front-facing bust portrait of George Washington. Said to have been painted by Peale for Washington about 1775 and presented by him to Mrs. Israel. Tradition says this was done in recognition of information given by her concerning British Army and its plans.
- John Hill Morgan and Mantle Fielding. The life portraits of Washington and their replicas. Lancaster, Pa: Lancaster Press, Inc, 1931.|Stebbins, Theodore. American paintings at Harvard, volume 1: paintings, watercolors, and pastels by artists born before 1826. Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge. Distributed by Yale University Press, New Haven. 2014.