Philip Cabot collection of family account books and scrapbooks, 1753-1877
About this Collection
- Clarke, Richard , 1711-1795Lee, Joseph , 1711-1802J. & T.H. Perkins & Co
- Account books.Scrapbooks.Blotters (bookkeeping records)Ephemera.Clippings (information artifacts).
- Collection Title
- Philip Cabot collection of family account books and scrapbooks, 1753-1877
- 1 linear feet (4 volumes)
- Baker Library, Harvard Business School, Harvard University
Collection of four account books of two Boston merchant firms engaged in domestic and foreign trade that were later used as scrapbooks. Records of J. & T.H. Perkins, dated 1799-1826, primarily concern the China trade and include trial balances (Volume 1), shipping accounts (Volume 3), and a blotter (Volume 4); in all three volumes, there are Civil War era clippings pasted over some or most of the original content. Volume 2 is a waste book of Clarke & Lee concerning operation of a sugar house, commission sales, and voyages to the West Indies, Canada, Philadelphia, and Martha’s Vineyard, dated 1753-1756; pasted on the cover and over pages throughout the volume are clippings and ephemera related to the 1876 United States Centennial.